Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Word stress/phonetics

<< Forum Professeurs || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Word stress/phonetics
Message de posté le 21-12-2007 à 16:52:23 (S | E | F)
I'm looking for a simple way to teach 'word stress' to my teen pupils.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 21-12-2007 17:07
forum

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 29-12-2007 à 16:10:11 (S | E)
I'm looking for a simple way to teach word stress in English pronunciation.
Can anyone help?
Thanks a lot!
-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 29-12-2007 16:33
Topics fusionnés; il est inutile de poster plusieurs fois,merci.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 03-01-2008 à 16:34:18 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Si c'est l'accentuation de mots, tu peux l'illustrer avec des petits cerles pour les syllabes non accentuées, et un gros cercle pour les accentuées.
Ex: photographer
o O o o = 4 syllabes, accentuation sur la deuxième

Ou alors ainsi: phoTOgrapher
ou encore, comme à la fac: O1OO = 1 étant l'accentuation (mais peut-être un peu compliqué...)

Si c'est pour enseigner les règles de l'accentuation, tu peux faire une liste (à apprendre par coeur). Mais pas très interessant pour des teens...

Il n'y a pas mieux que des exemples pour qu'ils retiennent;

Par exemple, on sait qu'avec le suffixe -ation, l'accent est sur la syllabe précédente: communiCAtion

Et avec l'exemple, donnez d'autres mots qui exigent la même règle: particiPAtion, reLAtion...

Si tu trouves une méthode, merci de la communiquer...
Hope it helped

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de chrislondon, postée le 13-01-2008 à 11:58:56 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Forgive me if I write to you in English as I don't think I could explain this in French!
Following on from denia57's excellent idea, I use something similar, but I put cards around the room with different stress patterns on them. Ooo ooO etc, and when I read a word the students have to go to the part of the room with the correct stress card. It keeps them interested and involves a bit of total physical response. It's a bit noisy, however. I hope it helps you.
Best wishes,
chrislondon

-------------------
Modifié par chrislondon le 13-01-2008 11:59

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de mazigh07, postée le 17-01-2008 à 20:27:44 (S | E)
Moi, je ne sais pas comment enseigner le 'word stress' aux eleves, je cherche des cours simples pour les compree et les expliquer aux eleves

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de lucile83, postée le 17-01-2008 à 21:02:57 (S | E)
Vous avez un moteur de recherche en haut,jaune fluo.
Voici un lien:
Lien Internet

See you.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de mazigh07, postée le 17-01-2008 à 20:35:49 (S | E)
Bonjour.J'ai un probleme avec la phonétique anglaise,je ne trouve pas les cours pour les enseigner à mes élèves; surtout le stress, et le 'rising,falling';y a t-il des sites gratuits? please help me.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 17-01-2008 21:03
Topics fusionnés

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 15-02-2008 à 18:47:31 (S | E)
Hi , Here is a way that may help you teach the word stress .
First of all teenagers needn't learn the rules in details but just feel the stressed syllable when you read.
Write some words on the board and colour the stressed syllable,then you read enphasizing on the stressed syllable and ask them what they notice in pronunciation.Thry'll feel that the coulered syllable is highly and well pronounced.
The next step ,you can give listening tasks.They copy some words ,listen to their teacher and put the stress on the right syllable by putting the(')symble of stress.
If rules are necessary ,just simple ones according to their sullabus
I hope it will help you.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de denzel, postée le 18-02-2008 à 16:57:00 (S | E)
Bonjour,
Je peux vous proposer:
1. "Initiation raisonnée à la phonétique de l'anglais" avec un CD de Richard Lilly et Michel Viel, publié chez Hachette Supérieur.
2. Il y a aussi "La prononciation de l'anglais. Règles phonologiques", toujours des mêmes auteurs.
Je les utilise depuis des années et ils sont très bien, à mon avis. De plus, leurs auteurs furent mes professeurs à la fac.
Vous y trouverez différentes règles d'accentuation et de transformations vocaliques.
Hopefully it will be helpful...

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de mazigh07, postée le 23-02-2008 à 19:15:30 (S | E)
I wanted to ask a question,in stress, sometimes it(stress):? is on the first syllable, sometimes on the second and sometimes on the third, is there any rule for that? I don't know how to teach it for my pupils, they have it in the bac, it's very important. Thanks

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 23-02-2008 23:02
Topic fusionné;vous avez les réponses plus haut.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de mazigh07, postée le 24-02-2008 à 00:46:28 (S | E)
Thanks a lot for all these answers, but you haven't understood me, I know that the symbols are easy but I wanted a rule. It is not always the first syllable to stress. Eg a 'present to pre'sent. You've seen that when it is a verb the stress is on the second syllable, but when it is a noun it is on the first syllable.Here I can't find a general rule for the stress. My pupils always ask me to give them a rule because they can't know all the words in English.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de lucile83, postée le 01-04-2008 à 23:21:15 (S | E)
Hello,
Here is a link on the site:
Lien Internet

Regards.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 01-04-2008 à 23:16:53 (S | E)
hello
I really find a big problem to teach my pupils stress!!
could you please help me ?
best wishes

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 01-04-2008 23:21
forum

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 03-04-2008 à 13:32:33 (S | E)
bonjour!pour ma part, je pourrais vous conseiller ce livre, qui m'a été très utile et simple d'accès:
Règles et exercices de prononciation anglaise, de Lionel Guierre

par ailleurs, ce livre était le livre de référence dans mon université.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de maya8, postée le 10-04-2008 à 11:50:22 (S | E)
dear,mazigh07,there is no general rules for the stress! just like in french there are plenty exceptions and you can't have all explanations by gramatical rules. but a good dictionary which gives the prononciation and shows which sylable is stressed of most of the words can help, students have to get a strong habit to use a dictionary, especialy when they do their homeworks.
check as well this link: Lien Internet
it explains very well the phonetics.

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 11-04-2008 à 15:54:16 (S | E)
there are rules actually but lots of exceptions too.

The thing is that it's hard for students from high school to learn those rules because there are too many and it's too theoretical. It's more aimed at university students.

Mazigh07, you talked about the words : 'a present' and 'to present'. That's the rule actually for two-syllable words. The stress is on the first when it's a noun and on the second when it's a verb. Many words follow that rule.

The more important is to look at the word's environment: number of syllables, suffixes, prefixes... and the rule changes according to them.

For instance, words which end with -ing, -ish, -ist, -ive, -ize, -ly, -ment, -ness, -or, -ship do no affect the words'stress=

in'vest= in'vestMENT

There is a list of these rules but I'm not sure it's available on the internet.

Good luck with pho'netics...

-------------------
Modifié par denia57 le 11-04-2008 15:55

Réponse: Word stress/phonetics de , postée le 25-05-2009 à 15:28:11 (S | E)
There are two very simple rules about word stress:
1. One word has only one stress. (One word cannot have two stresses. If you hear two stresses, you hear two words. Two stresses cannot be one word. It is true that there can be a "secondary" stress in some words. But a secondary stress is much smaller than the main [primary] stress, and is only used in long words.)
2. We can only stress vowels, not consonants.
1 Stress on first syllable
rule example
Most 2-syllable nouns PRESent, EXport, CHIna, TAble
Most 2-syllable adjectives PRESent, SLENder, CLEVer, HAPpy
2 Stress on last syllable
rule example
Most 2-syllable verbs to preSENT, to exPORT, to deCIDE, to beGIN
3 Stress on penultimate syllable (penultimate = second from end)
rule example
Words ending in -ic GRAPHic, geoGRAPHic, geoLOGic
Words ending in -sion and -tion teleVIsion, reveLAtion
4 Stress on ante-penultimate syllable (ante-penultimate = third from end)
rule example
Words ending in -cy, -ty, -phy and -gy deMOcracy, dependaBIlity, phoTOgraphy, geOLogy
Words ending in -al CRItical, geoLOGical
5 Compound words (words with two parts)
rule example
For compound nouns, the stress is on the first part BLACKbird, GREENhouse
For compound adjectives, the stress is on the second part bad-TEMpered, old-FASHioned
For compound verbs, the stress is on the second part to underSTAND, to overFLOW

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

<< Forum Professeurs

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux