Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

Difference in meaning /help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Difference in meaning /help
Message from mohammad51 posted on 12-08-2024 at 05:39:25 (D | E | F)
Hello

1. The old man is too wise not to follow your advice easily.
2. The old man is so wise that he can follow your advice easily.

Many books of grammar tell when converting ( too adjective + to verb ) into so adjective + that, the meaning will not change.

We know the structure " too adjective to" always carries negative sense.

But here, the structure in the first sentence using ( not)

So how can we illustrate the meaning?

In sentence 1: Does the old man by the virtue of his wisdom understand that he ought to follow the man's advice?

In sentence 2 : It is clear " the old man followed your advice"

Am I right or not ?

too = very

question 2 : can we use ( not ) before too ?

The weather is not too bad to go out = we can go out.

Re: Difference in meaning /help from trams, posted on 12-08-2024 at 13:30:39 (D | E)
Hello,

I think you quite got the meaning of both sentences. Here is how I would rephrase them in a clear way:

1. The old man is too wise not to follow your advice easily. => He will do it, it is certain. The probability is high. The emphasis is put on the fact that if he doesn't do it, then he will be mistaken. Plus, it outlines his wisdom and intelligence.

2. The old man is so wise that he can follow your advice easily. => It's just the same as above but to me, it sounds more neutral. the emphasis is only put on his natural cleverness. And also the obvious connection between his intelligence and his ability to act.

question 2 : can we use ( not ) before too ?

The weather is not too bad to go out = we can go out. => I agree with you. It means that the weather is not perfect, but good enough to go out. No excuse.

I hope it helps!

Trams

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux |